Parenting is such a noble, selfless act, but fraught with uncertainties, self-doubt and
not nearly as much self-credit.
I should know.
Ever since I became a mommy, I have second guessed myself and my decisions, neglected
myself; put myself on the back burner because I could not justify the luxury of pursuing my own dreams…imagine while also all the while still feeling that I am not doing a good job at parenting.
And let’s not forget the constant exhaustion you feel particularly when you have little ones.
Heck…’sleep-deprived’ becomes your middle name.
Meet the Speech Mama
I am Lorna Muthamia-Ochido, a proud mother of 3 children (Mor- 8 years; Marwa- 5 years and Mara- 2 years) and lucky wife to my hubby, life partner and best friend, Ochido. Truly, I lucked out with this guy. Ochido has been a constant pillar of support, which has given me the permission to spread my wings.
I also practice speech therapy. I run a physical clinic. You can read more about it here as well as an online business mostly focused on empowering parents; information-sharing as well as online courses for parents and professionals.
I have naturally always had many ideas. Like A- LOT! But, I don’t always act on them (which is not necessarily a bad thing)…
I got the idea of starting this blog in order to hold myself accountable for the many good ideas I feel should see the light of day. It has always been easier for me to achieve a goal if it also gets to serve someone else other than just me.
I am happiest when I am sharing my ideas and useful solutions with people that may find use for them.
I happen to wear many hats and I also happen to be a problem-solver. I finally accepted this description of myself when I just couldn’t pin myself down to the 1, 2 or 3 things I really enjoy. Most creatives may relate- I enjoy so many things (jack of all trades, anyone…master of u-hum), but what has been at the core of all of them is my love for my family, quality- quality products, quality experiences, health and wellbeing and how it could all be achieved cost effectively.
My problem-solving nature has led me to many unchartered waters…
Homeschooler– I homeschool my children and have done for the past 3 years. Read more about why we decided to homeschool here. I have created homeschooling resources that other families can tap into. Feel free to browse our homeschool tab.
Entrepreneur– I am a practicing speech therapist/pathologist in an underserved country (Kenya). I create solutions that are sustainable for the context I practice in, i.e. where there is a severe shortage of therapists. I have online courses for parents as well as other professionals as I aim to build more awareness of the profession and ensure quality of service is upheld. You can check out more on that adventure here.
Organiser– I create solutions that can ensure order in our homes. I have training manuals, templates, meal planners and incentive charts for use with children and with domestic staff. Click here for more.
Self-Growth- Yes, you read right. Besides the many hats I wear, there is ME in all that that needs to be nourished. I am pursuing various ideas and ways of being, which is unfolding into a beautiful experience. If you would like to read more, do click here and for musings from my heart, here.
More about me…
- Problem- solver. I find that I like to take matters into my own hands. I homeschool, train speech therapist assistants…get the picture. I consciously have to stop myself from solving everybody’s problems.
- Foodie + brilliant cook. Because I cook so well (take my word for it), I am a harsh critic of restaurant food. Needless to say, we hardly eat out. Perhaps I need to expand my repertoire of outstanding eateries in Nairobi. Feel free to suggest places (yum).
Recovering people-pleaser. It feels good to say it out loud. I’ve finally allowed myself to do whatever the heck pleases me and not care about what others thought of it. When I find myself going down that slippery path, I put myself back on track (anyone with me).
More fun facts about moi! (have fun deciding which ones are true/false)
- I am the second born in a family of 3 boys
- I have a grandson
- I am pursuing doctorate studies (aka permanent head damage)
- My 3 children’s names together mean, “our happiness is my happiness” (no brainer, right!)
(check out the answers at the bottom- fun anyone?)
This blog aspires to;
- Inspire and give permission to any mother out there, who because of motherhood, has put themselves on the back burner. It is your time to shine!
- Share my solutions to the problems/situations I have been faced with like adding intention to our children’s learning and experiences, work-life balance and the previously sad state of our domestic help situation (if you live in Africa, I say no more)
- Connect with other like-minded people and hopefully find growth through the sharing of our own unique stories and ways of being. I love meaningful connections
- Showcase Africa is a new light; a way that it hasn’t before and inspire more inventions from this continent and more good vibes
- Propagate and share happy ideas. The world is not doing enough of this and certainly not the internet. I am choosing to be part of the solution. Hopefully, this blog, helps light up that fire in your belly so that you too can share happiness all around (aww…so cliché guys)
- Inspire more people to ‘wake up’ to the many truths we have been asleep from because by so doing, we can realise the mostly neglected realities such as we’re more alike than different. Join me as I journey myself through my own waking up.
Answers key: a) false. Second born in a family of 4 girls b) false. I have a granddaughter (yes, there is a story, but for another day) c) true. Specialising in literacy; teaching effective reading skills to children d) believe it or not, this is absolutely t.r.u.e (how, you ask… it was a serendipitous discovery for me too).